Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Why can't I sit down? Oh, right, because Mega Man 9 is kicking my ass...

Maybe it's the nearly 20 year gap between the first Mega Man and now. Maybe it's the fact that I've actually memorized the layouts of the first two Mega Man games. Maybe I've been so accustomed to analog controls and more complicated feature sets that actually help you play a game.

Or maybe...just maybe...I don't remember Mega Man being nearly THIS hard.

After spending what little money I had yesterday on Wii Points to get Mega Man 9, I dove in thinking that I could pick an enemy that looked easy enough and, within the hour, defeat at the very least 2 of the enemies.

The time is now 12:15 the next day...and I haven't defeated a SINGLE LEVEL.

This is for three reasons:

1) The level design is easily one of the hardest 2D side-scrolling platforming designs I have ever come across and it continually hands me my ass each and every time I have an impercise moment.

2) The Wii Remote is what I've been using to play the game, which I'm realizing is a problem because my big thumbs can't seem to get precise control with the tiny D-Pad and buttons. This will probably lead me to use the Classic Controller tonight just to see if that was the problem or if the controls actually need some work.

and

3) I've refused to go online to look at FAQ's, Walkthroughs, and Cheats. I beat both Mega Man 1 and 2 without the help of any of these three items when I was barely in the double digit age range when I beat both (I think at least, I may have been 10 when I beat Mega Man 2), I refuse to use them now, especially since I chose to play it on Wiiware where "Trophies" and "Achievements" are not even a concern. I wanted the purest, old school feel when playing probably one of the most obnoxiously old school games I've played in years.

That being said, if I can beat the game without the need of a guide, this will be my personal gaming achievement I've had in a long time.

And lord knows I need that since Flem-bot has been handing me my now positively bruised posterior in Geometry Wars 2.




- Brad Wiswall enjoys his small victory with Pacifism against the Edgz.

No comments: